This online summer course, which is worth 3 EPV days, is aimed at primary school teachers who are interested in getting new ideas for teaching Irish in the classroom and who would like to learn about using the communicative approach in their teaching. In each module two sample lessons based on themes from the curriculum are presented and the emphasis in these lessons is on the communicative approach. The pre-communicative, the communicative and the post-communicative phases are included in the case of each lesson. Although we would encourage you to use as much Irish as possible in your answers, you can use English if you need to.
Want to earn 3 days and enrich your Irish and teaching skills at the same time? If you’re not happy with the quality of your EPV course, you will receive a full refund! That’s how confident we are that you will find these courses really useful.*
The main objectives of the course are:
- to give teachers a better understanding of the communicative approach and to show them how to use it more effectively in their teaching
- to give teachers new ideas for teaching Irish and to enable them to implement these ideas in the classroom in order to improve the standard teaching in Irish class, to inspire interest in the language and to improve the ability of pupils to communicate
- to improve teachers’ Irish language skills and to give them confidence in teaching the language.
- Key sounds
- The pronunciations which the learner should focus on in that particular unit.
- Useful information
- The grammar relevant to the topic covered in the unit. This grammar is presented in context and in manageable chunks, and complicated terminology is avoided.
- Four dialogues, with accompanying translations into English. The language contained in these dialogues is natural and authentic, and reflects everyday usage.
- Vocabulary and Useful phrases
- Core vocabulary and useful phrases relating to the theme of the unit.
- A wide range of fun to-do activities based on the vocabulary and grammar presented in the unit. The written exercises are interactive. Once you’ve completed an exercise, you can click on the “Send” button and receive feedback immediately. You’re told which answers were correct and which were incorrect, you’re given the correct answers and a score. The oral exercises are accompanied by sounds files.
- These short passages aim to give the learner information about the history of the Irish language and a better understanding of Irish in the contemporary world.
- Useful tips for learners
- Handy tips on how to become a more efficient language learner.
- Talking heads
- The ‘Talking heads’ section contains video segments featuring a range of speakers, filmed on location in Dublin and Galway.
There are five modules in this course and each module contains a mixture of sample lessons, sample activities, useful vocabulary, videos and exercises.
All the exercises are interactive. Once you’ve completed an exercise, you can then click on the ‘Seol’ (Send) button and receive feedback immediately. You’ll be told which answers were correct and which were incorrect, and you’ll be given the correct answers and a score.
At the beginning of each module, you’re told what the focus of that module is.
In order to move from one screen to another, all you have to do is click on the arrows which appear on the left-hand side (to go back) or on the right-hand side (to go forward), at the top and bottom of each screen. You can also click on any line of text under the words PLEAN AN AONAID on the left-hand side of the screen in order to access another part of the module.
On the last page of each module, An leathanach scoir, you’re given an overview of the work you’ve done in that module and your total score for the module. You’re given several choices as well: to continue to the next module, to redo the module you’ve just completed, or go back to the very beginning of the course.
When can I register for the course?
When can I start the course?
Any time from the beginning of July onwards. In order to earn 3 EPV days, the course must be completed between 3 July 2023 and 18 August 2023.
By what date will I have to have completed the course?
By 18 August 2023. In order to earn 3 EPV days, the course must be completed some time between 3 July 2023 and 18 August 2023. During that period it’s up to you to decide when to study the course content.
What work will I have to do in each module?
You will have to read the material in the module and do all the interactive exercises. When you have done all that work, you will have to answer the interactive question at the end of the module. You must post this answer on the course forum. You must publish at least one post per module in the forums aside from answering the interactive questions. At the very end of the course, you must answer the reflective question. Again, you must post your answer on the course forum.
How many hours must I spend doing the course work?
Approximately 20 hours.
Is the course material written in Irish or in English?
The course is bilingual - each sentence in Irish is translated into English.
Will I have to answer the interactive question at the end of each module in Irish?
No. We would encourage you to use as much Irish as possible in your answers, but you can use English if you need to.
Can I undertake the course using my smartphone or my tablet computer. e.g. iPad?
Most of ranganna.com can be used on smartphones and tablet computers, however the site’s multimedia content does not work on all devices. It would be advisable, therefore, to try a sample unit of the course you’re interested in on the device before registering for that course.
What happens if I have a question?
Write it on the forum or write to your course facilitator.
Can I do more than one course?
Absolutely! Department of Education criteria for online courses stipulate that participants may complete one online course for the awarding of 3 EPV days, two online courses for 4 EPV days and three online courses for 5 EPV days.
How will I know when I have completed the course?
You will have completed the course when:
You will receive your certificate and CPD record within two weeks of having completed the course. It takes a little while to compile the answers, and to prepare the certificate and record.
Terms and Conditions
- The use of the ranganna.com website is governed by the terms and conditions set out below. These terms and conditions are important and are there for the protection of both you and Gaelchultúr and its agents. Therefore, please take the time to read them carefully. By using the website you will be deemed to have accepted them and that your use is at your own risk.
- The website is established in Ireland in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Ireland and shall be governed by the laws of that country. When you use the site, you accept that your use of the site and any information on the site, shall also be governed by the laws of Ireland and if any dispute arises from your use of the site or any of the information on it, you agree to allow such dispute to be heard in the Irish courts
- Gaelchultúr reserves the right to make any changes it wishes to the information contained on ranganna.com, and also to the design and services provided on the site without notice and without liability. Gaelchultúr reserves the right to add to or change these conditions. Any changes will be posted to this page and it is your responsibility as a user to ensure that you are aware of any such changes made from time to time. You will be deemed to have accepted any changes made if you continue to use the site after it has been changed.
- We believe that all the statements made in our brochures, website and other marketing materials are accurate and correct at the time they are made. Every reasonable attempt has been made to describe the course and any other services mentioned. We cannot be held responsible for any changes that happen after the brochure is produced. (Up to date information can be found on our website). Nor can we accept liability for happenings outside our control.
- This website is owned and operated by Gaelchultúr and the information and materials appearing on the site (“the content”) are displayed for personal, non-commercial use only. All software used on this site and all content included on this site (the information, the material, graphics, text, sounds, images, buttons, trademarks, trading names and logos) is the property of Gaelchultúr or its agents and are protected by copyright, trademark, database right, sui generis right and other intellectual property laws, under national laws and international treaties. None of the content may be downloaded, copied, reproduced, republished, posted, transmitted, stored, sold or distributed without the prior written permission of the copyright holder. This excludes the downloading of one copy of extracts from the site on any single computer for personal, non-commercial home use only, provided that all copyright and proprietary notices are kept intact. Modification of any of the content or use of any of the content for any purpose other than as set out herein (including without limitation on any other website or computer network) is prohibited.
- The company Stripe provides the online payment facility on the ranganna.com website. Realex Payments and its partner Gaelchultúr pledge that the information you enter will not be shared with any outside party without your expressed consent and that any emails you receive from Realex Payments and its partner Gaelchultúr will be related to your order only. Realex Payments and Gaelchultúr agree not to send you spam at any time. We may need to transfer the personal data you give us (such as your name and contact details), to your tutor. We would also like to store and use your personal details for future marketing purposes (for example, sending you a brochure). If you do not wish to receive marketing material from us, please let us know and your name will be removed from our list.
- A minimum number of participants need to register for a course, class or any type of workshop before it can take place. If that minimum is not reached, Gaelchultúr reserves the right to cancel that course, class or workshop. A notice of 24 hours will be given to those who have registered for the course, class or workshop, and the course fee will be repaid to them in its entirety.
- If for any reason you are not satisfied with the course you have purchased, you are entitled to a full refund within seven days from the date you made the purchase of the course, unless you have started the course itself. If the course has commenced, you can still receive a refund up to and including the third week, but the value of the number of hours of tuition that have elapsed in the course will be deducted from the fee that you have paid and the balance will be paid to you. If you withdraw from a course, you will no longer have access to course materials (downloads or other) on the ranganna.com website. In the case of on-line courses, you are considered to have started the course once you have logged onto the course on the ranganna.com website. If you withdraw from an online course, you will no longer have access to course materials (downloads or other) on the ranganna.com website. If you are entitled to a refund, as specified in the conditions above, please contact Gaelchultúr (cf. contact details below) and inform us that you wish to be given a refund. The refund will be sent to you within 21 days.